Thursday, July 31, 2008

Less Ullrich, more Armstrong

I rode via Kerava to work again this morning. I felt a bit weak at first, possibly because I've eaten lightly for a while now. I read in a book that the ideal height/weight ratio for a road bicyclist is 184 cm/73 kg, which means that at 180 cm, I should weigh 70 kg, I suppose. Therefore I'm trying to lose some weight, although slimming down to 70 kg might be too much. But we'll see. Anyway, after warming up riding felt ok again.

I tried to work on my spinning technique, and to be more exact, spinning in high cadence. I've noticed that lately I've been grinding up hills in a big gear, Jan Ullrich style. My old bike has the shift levers in the frame and the shifters aren't even indexed, so I often seem to be too lazy to shift gears when going up smaller rises. I suspect that spinning in high cadence a la Lance Armstrong is a better way, so I try to practice that.

But if spinning in high cadence is the way to go, there are two questions that bother me (well, not too much):
1) What do I need the big front gear for?
2) How do I spin fast when going up really steep hills (when I don't have small enough gears)?

Distance: 52.0 km
Time: 1:45
Avg: 29.7 km/h

No comments: