Sunday, July 20, 2008

New sports gear

It's been over a week since my last bike ride. We came back to Helsinki on Tuesday, but my bike is still in Kajaani. I had planned to send it from Kajaani to Helsinki in a train, but guess what: the national railway company does not offer the service anymore. You can't transport a bicycle by train unless you travel in the train. The other option is to send the bike in a bus, but then you'd have to pack it properly so it doesn't get damaged. I'm hoping my parents manage to do that next week.

Anyway, I haven't just slouched on the sofa all week. I finally got around to buying new running shoes. After brief research, I settled for the Karhu M2 model, because the reviews have been positive and it's nice to support Finnish products. Also, I've developed an interest toward the "natural, barefoot feeling" trend in footwear (MBT, Feelmax, Fivefingers and such), which the Karhu M-series shoes are supposed to be an example of.

So, yesterday I ran for two hours, about 18 km. The shoes felt good, much better than my old ones. I did get one blister though, but I don't blame the shoes. I can't tell if the feeling can be called "natural", but I'm definitely satisfied with the shoes. Hmm... next summer, I suppose I could run my first marathon.

If I ran a marathon at the same speed as yesterday's run, it would take about 4 hours 40 minutes. I suppose that's a decent time to begin with. I tried to maintain a low pulse, so the speed felt really slow at times. It's difficult to run slowly and economically, as I've usually just gone at full blast, but I just have to learn to do it. And the same applies to bicycling. Seems kind of obvious as I'm writing this, but isn't, if I just go on a ride/run without planning on what kind of an exercise to do.

After the run yesterday, I wasn't tired at all, but today I've been having problems descending stairs. The thighs hurt somewhat, but it's the good kind of pain...

No comments: