Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fever

Today I kind of started the bicycling season by visiting the local bicycle fair. The supply wasn't quite what I'd hoped for (not a single Olmo bike in the fair), but rather enjoyable anyway. But then again, I am an elitist road racing snob. I don't get much kicks out of the dirt bikes and whatnot. You can't expect a whole fair devoted to road racing in a country of this size.

Anyway, I got a hell of a bicycling fever. Now, I don't see how I could avoid getting me a new bicycle this season. I've spent most of the evening reading brochures and surfing bike shops. Currently I'm liking the Bianchi 928 Carbon Mono-Q a lot. I guess I could settle for a 2008 Bianchi 1885, an alu-carbon frame model, which is affordable and readily available right now, but the thought of a non-carbon bike (and the colour) just doesn't satisfy me the same way anymore. BTW, thanks a lot, Jari, for throwing gasoline in the flames ;)

But then again, what's 2200 € for something you really like and would use for decades? You know, for instance, a grand piano or a Porsche would cost much more. Not to mention what a set of golf clubs and a golf club membership would cost, I imagine. Um, and a Picasso. So yeah, when put into perspective, actually purchasing a full carbon Bianchi starts to make sense.

Now that I've convinced myself, there's only the hard part left: to convince my wife that buying a 2000 € bicycle is not the epitome of futility but instead a good thing for the entire family. Which it is. Right, fellows?

Oh, I did manage to save some money in the fair too. I signed up for the Tour de Helsinki 2009 for the reasonable price of 40 € (including the t-shirt), and bought a pair of cycling shorts for 20 €.

No comments: