Friday, May 15, 2009

Infrequent exercise

My training programme for HCM and TdH, designed with scientific exactitude, has been blown to pieces, once again. First, I caught yet another cold. Must be the 3rd or 4th I'm going through this spring. Second, I've been so busy with other engagements that I haven't had time for training. Honest. Of course, I'd rather go bicycling on weekends and evenings, but when you're selling an apartment, there are a million things to be done, and the project takes from weeks to months.

However, exercise has been good on the few occasions that I've actually managed to do it. Two weeks ago, I ran a half marathon one morning. I just went running, the weather was good, the running flowed well, so I decided to run for two hours and see if that constitutes a half marathon. And it did, according to the non-scientific exactitude of Google Maps, the distance was about 22 km. If I run at the same speed, I'll do HCM in 4 hours.

Then, last week I bicycled to Kerava one morning to pick up a co-worker. It also went pretty nicely, even though the weather conditions were pretty far from ideal. Strong-ish wind and mediocre rain. On the way back my feet were soaked through and pretty much frozen solid. Now I'm beginning to see the point of shoe covers, must get a pair of those as soon as possible. I'm sure the coldness of the ride contributed to the cold I'm still suffering.

Last week there was a course on riding in a group, arranged by Hepo, but I couldn't participate because I was incapacitated by a massive hangover. The previous night, we went out celebrating with co-workers, and the night became rather long-winded and replete with various alcoholic beverages. I'm glad that there are only a couple of these events in a year, nowadays.

Damn, I really have to get back in discipline, exercise-wise.

No comments: