Tuesday, September 30, 2008

End of season

After TdH, I've managed to go bicycling only once, and it was too cold, less than 10° C, with a significant wind. My fingers, toes and scalp nearly froze off and it wasn't very much fun. The fun was also lessened because the battery of my bike computer ran out, and when I changed the battery, I set the wheel size wrong so it didn't work properly. I like to know my speed when riding.

It seems that the season is about over for me. The season total is about 1700 km, I don't know exactly because the battery ran out. Winter bicycling doesn't really appeal to me, I like to do my bicycling in a temperate environment, like a gentleman, preferably through Mid-European vineyards. If I had a longer commute from home to work, it would be a different matter entirely, as winter bicycling would be practical. But as the trip is slightly over one kilometer, I can travel by lying down with my face to the ground and wrinkling the skin of my forehead and it still doesn't take too long.

So, sports-wise, I have two major objectives for the inevitable, long, dreary winter:
1) practice running to keep in shape and, perhaps, prepare for a marathon next summer
2) look into purchasing a new bicycle for the next season.

I've ran to work a couple of times in the last few weeks, but have taken it relatively easy because there's been a pain in my left knee. It only appears after about 45 minutes of running, so it can't be worn out kneecaps, right? I'm hoping it's a (minor) strain injury and not a permanent injury, because, damn, I don't want to stop running. I like running nearly as much as I like bicycling.

As for the acquisition of a new bike, my financial situation is about to improve, so it might not be totally out of the question. An Olmo Dynamic Plus would be to my liking, or possibly a Bianchi... now, to rationalize this to my wife...

No comments: