Thursday, June 19, 2008

As good as new

Got my bike back from the bike shop a couple of days ago and went riding today. Oh boy, the difference in speed was indeed noticeable. Because the rims were straightened, the brakes didn't drag anymore. Energy was not wasted on heating the brake pads and rims and unnecessary wobbling. The crank hub bearings felt better too as they'd been a little loose earlier. I did not notice any difference on the efficiency brake pads though. The cheap ones felt the same as the new more expensive ones.

Again, there was a strong headwind on the way back. I'd prefer going against the wind on the way out and returning in a tailwind. It'd feel like a reward for all your hard work. People say that the there is more wind nowadays than before and it's because of the climate change. That's a major drag for us cyclists, if that is the case, I suppose. The wind does make cycling a bit less fun, even though it does help you half the time. Well, if you take round trips, that is.

The guy at the bike shop told me that my bike is a bit too small for a guy my size. Yeah, I kind of knew that already. When I got it as a present, I didn't know anything about racing bikes. I wasn't even properly aware that there are different sizes. Now I am, and if this hobby gets any more serious, I will have to invest in a modern bike that's of the right size. But not this season. Next spring, possibly. And by the way, I've read somewhere that some professionals intentionally ride slightly too small bikes, because when you do, you can use the muscles of your upper body more efficiently to squeeze out strength to your legs. Or something.

As a sidenote, my running shoes are also too small for me. They've always been uncomfortable, but I've just put up with them, because I'm poor. But now when I've ran a bit more often than earlier, it's become more painful. Right now I've got two toe nails that have blackened somewhat. I just hope that they don't come off. I don't need toe nails when bicycling, but I suppose that there are other reasons for having them. Like climbing trees? Well, anyway, running might become difficult if the toe nails start to drop off.

Oh yeah, and about the Cooper test. Sadly, I couldn't make it, as there were other engagements. Which weren't made up reasons or cowardly excuses, no, no, how dare you suggest that. Well, I heard that there is an another instance being arranged in the autumn. I must try to make it then. Perhaps I could practice a bit for that...

Distance: 54.5 km
Time: 1:57
Avg: 27.8 km/h

No comments: