Friday, July 11, 2008

Natural intervals

Yesterday I did a nice 3 hour afternoon ride from Kajaani to Ristijärvi and back. It has rained all week here, and I finally got fed up with waiting for the weather conditions to improve, so I went for a ride. Even though it was slightly too nippy to ride in short bicycling shorts. I'm not going to even try to find decent bicycling gear on my vacation here in Kajaani, so I'll have to survive without long riding pants.

I tried to maintain a lowish pace, because I've been reading an excellent book on bicycling training (Pasi Ahlroos: Pyöräilyvalmennus), and it has come to my attention that different types of exercises can (and should) be done to improve different areas of endurance. Before this, I've had a single type of exercise: ride as fast as you can, all the time. Well, of course, I wasn't able to slow down enough in some rises, but mostly my pulse was below 80%.

At about halfway I thought to myself that this is the first ride of the vacation when there hasn't been a single drop of rain. Promptly, the rain began. Luckily it was only a couple of local showers, but it would be nice to have a summerish weather during one's summer vacation.

There was an interesting local anomaly: at a lengthy rise, a truck came towards me by backing up in the side of the road. I stopped and tried to signal with my hands "what the hell are you doing?", but I suppose my hand signals weren't universal enough, because the truck just stopped and waited, blocking up the road. I waited until the traffic slowed down, and bypassed the truck, which continued to back up against the traffic.

Distance: 90.8 km
Time: 3:03
Avg: 29.6 km/h

No comments: